The Chart:

Monday, April 5, 2021

Bring back my Bonnie to me (to me)...

 Ahhh Yes....

The carbonara-liner.

What a sorry old crate it is becoming.

The fact that it has sold well in numbers is a good thing, that it has changed the hub and spoke forever, is an even greater accomplishment and that it has taken over the world is the greatest thing it has achieved, it is a great airplane in this regard.

However what is the kind of program that produced it, and would you say that it is a good program? I will keep my opinion to myself, but time and again, I keep hearing the news. Is this good optics? Is this the state of affairs that is 'acceptable'. I cannot answer that question. I will leave it to the experts. 

If one were an expert, an artisan of technologies, what kind of criticism would you level at an enterprise such s this? Could you make an assessment? If you wore a lanyard, and clocked into its factory, is your morale high? Do you still feel a sense of pride? One can hope that you do.

Whether we like it or not, this is the future of BCA. Forget the NMA talk for now. Its time to ask tough questions about the current state of affairs, queen or no queen. 

You see, even if the NMA is a single aisle clone of the Dreamliner, and that it can deliver on its promises, the last thing that anyone on that program wants is a repeat of that mess. The problems might be deep rooted cultural issues or perhaps some sort of deep complacency?

True or not, every manager or department head would be wise to ask those hard questions, especially in an industry with few sentiments to go in between. After the MAX issues, there should be a healthy environment of skepticism among the keepers of the faith; without which BCA can just forget about making new planes. Who would want to buy them, if they just keep falling apart?

The fall of every Great Company begins when it turns its back on its Principles.

I have never walked the hall where a legend was made even though I have a great Appreciation and Love for it. I read a book, built scale models, sat in its belly an loved it for all that it was worth. My experiences add up to very little and have no bearing on the future.

Likewise, I could write here, dire warnings of the future, but realistically, it matters not. There is a greater wisdom out there that will reward complacency faster that anyone can write about it. To those who believe in the work of making the future, it is their livelihood on the table and they can be part of that future or not.

These here days, are dark times and one had best believe in silver linings.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment